The "Gilded Age" on HBO-Max has become a big hit...it's created by Julian Fellowes of "Downton Abbey" fame, Gosford Park and other English period dramas. Fellowes has called this show the "American Downton Abbey." 

As a New York City tourguide I have been touring around New York for years--decades actually- general sightseeing tours but also specialized tours such as my "Rich & Famous" tour which shows where bold-face names live, shop and party. The Gilded Age has always fascinated me and it's a "spin-off" of the Rich & Famous Tour. 

Today there are suddenly many guides doing a "Gilded Age" tour so I shall join the pack. It's a fun walking or riding tour around Manhattan's Eastside to view the surviving homes of Astors, Vanderbilts and other "first" families of old New York. Many fun stories and anecdotes which were used as the basis for the real and fictional families on the television show.

My friend Leon Liss has designed his "Gilded Age" tour and his accompanying Facebook page...he brings many visual aids...photos of people and long-gone homes to resurrect memories of a bygone era in his tour. His tour is wonderful but only for the hardy walkers because it begins at St. Patrick's Cathedral (Fifth Ave. & 50th Street) and tours up to Fifth Ave & 92nd Street! More than 2 miles! Leon lives in Philadelphia and has generously offered me the chance to do some of his tours when he's unable to travel to New York on designated days.

Please contact me and let's do a tour. At the moment I'm not posting actual tour dates because tourists I've discovered, can be fickle...they will claim to want to join a tour but then cancel and demand refunds after I've rearranged my schedule for a tour that either is forced to cancel or the numbers have dropped so precipitously that there is no financial incentive for me to keep the tour going.

Please email JimDykesNY@gmail.com.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Only Murders in the Building location

Gilded Age mansion: the gorgeous RoseCliff in Newport

Vanderpump Rules! Met the charming and beautiful Lisa Vanderpump with husband Ken and tiny pup Jiggy at a Hollywood party!